Yemen government dismisses Houthi pullout from Hodeidah as a 'show'

"It's an attempt to disinform the international community," said Information Minister Muammar al-Iryani.
Saturday 11/05/2019
People walk past the headquarters of municipality of the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, Yemen February 13, 2019. (Reuters)
People walk past the headquarters of municipality of the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah, Yemen February 13, 2019. (Reuters)

A minister in the internationally-recognised Yemeni government dismissed on Saturday the Houthi movement's pullout from the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah as a "show" meant to "disinform the international community."

"What happened today is a flagrant show, a group of (Houthi) militiamen left (the city) and they were replaced by others wearing coast guard police uniforms," Information Minister Muammar al-Iryani told Reuters.

The Iran-backed Houthis on Saturday started withdrawing forces from Saleef port in Hodeidah under a UN-sponsored deal that had been stalled for months, a Reuters witness said, reviving hopes for peace efforts to end the four-year war.

"It's an attempt to disinform the international community," said Al-Iryani.

(With Reuters)