Turkey detains four suspects linked to car bomb attack in Ankara

Friday 11/03/2016
Third attack to strike Ankara in five months

ANKARA - Turkish police on Monday detained four suspects near the Syria border they believe are linked to the deadly car bomb attack in the heart of the capital, according to local media.

Police acted on the tip-off that the car that exploded in Ankara had been bought from a dealership in Sanliurfa, state-run Anatolia news agency reported.

The four suspects were due to be taken to Ankara, the agency said.

Nobody has claimed responsibility yet for the attack that claimed the lives of at least 36 people -- the third on the jittery capital in five months.

Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu gave an overall toll of 37, but said this included at least one attacker and possibly two.

Ankara believes one of the bombers was a woman with ties to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), designated as a terrorist group by Turkey and its Western allies.

"The blast was caused by a vehicle packed with explosives close to Kizilay square," an official statement said. The square is a key commercial and transport hub close to the city's embassy area.

The attack comes just weeks after the city was hit by a suicide car bombing on February 17 targeting the military that killed 29 people, claimed by a dissident faction of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).

1