Turkey blames PKK for new attacks in southeastern region

Friday 21/08/2015
No reason and no restraint on both sides

ISTANBUL - A soldier was killed in southeastern Turkey and a regional headquarters of the country's ruling party hit by a bomb attack, in new violence blamed on Kurdish militants, the army and sources said Saturday.
The soldier, a captain, was killed in a rocket and long-range gun attack late Friday on a military post in Beytussebap district in southeastern Sirnak province, the army said in a statement.
Two other soldiers were injured.
The army said the attack was carried out by the "Separatist Terror Organisation", its customary phrase for the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) to which it never refers by name.
Meanwhile, suspected members of the PKK threw two bombs outside the regional headquarters of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) in the predominantly Kurdish southeastern city of Diyarbakir.
The attack severely damaged a police water cannon truck parked outside, injuring a policeman who was inside, the official Anatolia news agency reported.
The PKK has been staging daily attacks against the Turkish armed forces as the military keeps up air raids and military operations against its strongholds in southeast Turkey as well as northern Iraq.
Over 50 members of the Turkish security forces have been killed in attacks blamed on the PKK but the government has vowed to maintain its campaign against the group.
Meanwhile, 10 customs officials and a driver were reported missing in the Van region of eastern Turkey close to the border with Iran, Anatolia reported, saying it was possible they had been abducted by the PKK.
The PKK regularly carries out kidnappings in Turkey's southeast which normally end with the detainees' release.
The PKK took up arms against the Turkish state in 1984 in an insurgency to seek independence for the Kurdish-dominated southeast, although its demands later moderated to autonomy and greater rights.
Tens of thousands of people have lost their lives in the conflict and the latest strife has left in tatters a 2013 ceasefire declared by the PKK's jailed leader, Abdullah Ocalan.