Trump criticizes rush to condemn Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi

Trump compared the case of Khashoggi to the allegations of sexual assault leveled against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh.
Wednesday 17/10/2018
US President Donald Trump speaks during an interview with The Associated Press in the Oval Office of the White House, in Washington, on October 16. (AP)
US President Donald Trump speaks during an interview with The Associated Press in the Oval Office of the White House, in Washington, on October 16. (AP)

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Tuesday criticised rapidly mounting global condemnation of Saudi Arabia over the mystery of missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi, warning of a rush to judgment and echoing the Saudis’ request for patience.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Trump compared the case of Khashoggi, who Turkish officials have said was murdered in the Saudis’ Istanbul consulate, to the allegations of sexual assault leveled against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing.

“I think we have to find out what happened first,” Trump said. “Here we go again with, you know, you’re guilty until proven innocent. I don’t like that. We just went through that with Justice Kavanaugh and he was innocent all the way as far as I’m concerned.”

Trump’s remarks were his most robust defense yet of the Saudis, a US ally he has made central to his Mideast agenda. He appeared willing to resist the pressure to follow suit, accepting Saudi denials and their pledge to investigate.

The Oval Office interview came not long after Trump spoke Tuesday with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. He spoke by phone a day earlier with King Salman, and he said both deny any knowledge of what happened to Khashoggi.

After speaking with the king, Trump floated the idea that “rogue killers” may have been responsible for the disappearance. The president told the AP on Tuesday that that description was informed by his “feeling” from his conversation with Salman and that the king did not use the term.

On Tuesday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with the king and crown prince in Riyadh and said the Saudis had already started a “serious and credible investigation” and seemed to suggest it could lead to people within the kingdom. The secretary of state noted that the Saudi leaders, while denying knowledge of anything that occurred inside the consulate, had committed to accountability “including for Saudi Arabia’s senior leaders or senior officials.”

Pompeo was heading next to Turkey. Trump said he hoped the Saudis’ own investigation of Khashoggi’s disappearance would be concluded in “less than a week.”

Khashoggi, a Saudi citizen who was also a resident of the United States, has been a contributor to The Washington Post.

Trump has resisted any action over the journalist's disappearance pointing to huge US weapons deals pending with Saudi Arabia and saying that sanctions could end up hurting the American economy.

“I have to find out what happened,” he said. 

Khashoggi went to the consulate on October 2 to get documents for his upcoming marriage to a Turkish woman while his fiancee waited outside. She and Turkish authorities say he never emerged and he has not been heard from since. 

Khashoggi had been living in the US for a year and writing columns for the opinion section of the Post. 

(AP)