Saudi security forces kill two terrorist suspects in simultaneous raids
RIYADH – Authorities in Saudi Arabia say security forces conducting a series of anti-terror raids have killed two suspects and arrested three.
The official Saudi Press Agency reported on Monday that the simultaneous raids targeted sites around the capital, Riyadh, and in the eastern city of Dammam.
The Interior Ministry said those targeted in the raids belonged to an affiliate of the extremist Islamic State (ISIS) group linked to an attack in Abha, 560 kilometers (350 miles) south of Mecca.
The ISIS cell was planning to carry out "an imminent terrorist act" and that one of the sites raided by the authorities was a bomb-making factory.
Saudi authorities said on Saturday they killed an 18-year-old suspected member of the group and arrested his brother after the brothers abducted a cousin and filmed his execution, and killed three other people, in the country's desert northern province of Ha'il.
ISIS has called on supporters to carry out attacks in Saudi Arabia and string of deadly attacks by its followers has fuelled concerns about a growing threat of militancy in the world's top oil exporter.
On August 6, an Islamic State-claimed suicide bomber attacked a mosque inside a police compound in Abha, killing 15 people. It was the deadliest attack on the kingdom's security forces in years.
An Islamic State suicide bomber killed at least 15 people in an attack on a mosque used by members of a local security force in southwest Saudi Arabia last month, and other bombings by the group on Shiite mosques in the kingdom and neighbouring Kuwait killed dozens of worshippers this summer.
Saudi authorities say they are cracking down on the militants and announced in July that it had detained 431 people suspected of belonging to the organisation.