Saudi crown prince calls for higher vigilance after ‘Islamic State’ bombing
RIYADH - Saudi Arabia's crown prince has called for higher vigilance and better preparedness in the kingdom after a suicide attack claimed by Islamic State on a security forces mosque killed 15 people, state news agency SPA reported late on Saturday.
Thursday's attack followed two bombings in May of mosques used by the kingdom's Shiite Muslim minority that killed 25, several shootings of policemen in Riyadh and a car bomb outside a prison in the capital in July, all claimed by Islamic State.
The jihadist movement regards Riyadh's ruling family as having betrayed Islam through its close ties with the West, and wants to replace all Muslim states, including Saudi Arabia, with a single caliphate.
"His Highness Prince Mohammed bin Nayef bin Abdulaziz called on the need to intensify preparedness and raise the level of caution in the face of any developments that, God forbid, may arise," the official Saudi Press Agency reported. The crown prince is also interior minister.
Saudi Arabia said Saturday that the suicide bomber was one of its own citizens.
The bomber was named as Yussef bin Sleiman bin Abdullah al-Sleiman, aged 21.
A ministry spokesman, quoted by El-Ekhbariya state television, said 11 of those killed were policemen and four were Bangladeshis who worked at the police compound.
IS affiliate "Al-Hijaz Province" said in an online statement that it was behind the attack, the latest -- and deadliest -- against security forces in Sunni-ruled Saudi Arabia in recent weeks.
It had identified the bomber as Abu Sinan al-Najdi and vowed to carry out fresh strikes against "tyrants in the Arabian Peninsula... in the coming days".
There was no explanation as to why different names were given, but the one published by IS appeared to be an alias.
IS, which controls swathes of Syria and Iraq, has expanded across the region, claiming responsibility for attacks on two Shiite mosques in Saudi Arabia in May and a third in Kuwait in June.
Islamic State's leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi called last year for supporters in Saudi Arabia to launch their own attacks on Shiites, government targets and Westerners instead of travelling to Iraq or Syria to join his group.
Saudi Arabia has joined the US and other Arab states in airstrikes against the group in Syria, has mobilised state-affiliated clergy to denounce the group and has detained hundreds of its suspected supporters.