Dubai police say electrical fault caused spectacular fire at luxury hotel

Friday 15/01/2016
Electrical short circuit is behind accident

DUBAI - A spectacular fire that engulfed a luxury Dubai hotel hours before New Year's celebrations was caused by an electrical fault, police said Wednesday, ruling out any criminal activity.
"It was an accident due to an electrical short circuit," Dubai police chief Khamis al-Muzainah told reporters.
"No one was arrested. There is no suspicion of a crime... There was no negligence," he said.
The fire broke out at the 63-storey The Address Downtown hotel on December 31, a few hours before Dubai welcomed 2016 with a fireworks display from the iconic Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest tower, a few blocks away.
The blaze had erupted as thousands of residents and tourists gathered nearby to watch the fireworks display from Burj Khalifa.
The hotel was evacuated and 16 people suffered minor injuries.

1